Click here to download a copy of my CV.
Lecturer (Assistant Professor), King’s College London, Department of Political Economy, 2020-
Berlin Prize Fellow, American Academy in Berlin, Fall 2019
Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science, University of Florida, 2017-
University Term Professor, University of Florida, 2018-2021
Max Weber Post-Doctoral Fellow, European University Institute, Italy, 2016-2017
Affiliated with the Department of Social and Political Science, Mentor: Richard Bellamy
Ph.D. University of Chicago, Political Science, 2016
Dissertation: “The Work of Politics: Radical Democracy, Political Economy, and the Twentieth-Century Welfare State”
Committee: John P. McCormick (chair), Patchen Markell, Robert Gooding-Williams, and Lisa Wedeen
Visiting Researcher, CRC 597 “Transformations of the State”, Universität Bremen, 2013-2014
M.A. University of Chicago, Political Science, 2012
Joseph Cropsey Prize, Best MA Thesis in Political Philosophy, University of Chicago
B.A. University of British Columbia, Political Science (Honours), 2008
The Work of Politics: Building a Democratic Welfare State, Cambridge University Press, forthcoming.
“European Law and the Dilemmas of Democratic Capitalism,” Global Perspectives, 1, no. 1 (May 2020): 13378.
“The Power of Money: Critical Theory, Democracy, and Capitalism,” Constellations: An International Journal of Critical and Democratic Theory, online first.
““The Politics of Forward and Backward Infiltration: Toward a Dynamic Understanding of Civil Society and the State.” (co-authored with Cheol-Sung Lee (Sogang University)), Sociological Theory, 37, no. 1 (March 2019): 62-88.
“Fictitious Freedom: A Polanyian Critique of the Republican Revival,” American Journal of Political Science, 61, no. 4 (October 2017): 852-863
“Between Charisma and Domination: On Max Weber’s Critique of Democracy,” Journal of Politics, 79, no. 1 (January 2017): 179-192.
“‘Fit to Enter the World’: Hannah Arendt on Politics, Economics, and the Welfare State, American Political Science Review 108, no. 4 (November 2014): 856-869.
Review of Alexander Gourevitch, From Slavery to the Cooperative Commonwealth: Labor and Republican Liberty in the Nineteenth Century (Cambridge 2015), Perspectives on Politics, 16, no. 2 (June 2018): 511-512.
“Communication Breakdown: Critiquing Habermas’s Discourse Theory of Law,” H-Law (September 2011) [Review of Hugh Baxter, Habermas: The Discourse Theory of Law and Democracy (Stanford 2011)].
“Coronavirus Against the Market” (with Anton Jäger), Tribune, March 28, 2020.
“In the Red: Democracy in an Age of Debt,” The Berlin Journal, Issue 34, Fall 2019.
“Socialism and Freedom: Karl Polanyi’s Early Writings,” Los Angeles Review of Books, January 25, 2019.
“The New Science Wars,” The Chronicle Review, December 16, 2018.
“Against Civility, or Why Habermas Recommends a Wild Public Sphere,” Aeon, September 24, 2018.
“A Serious Man” (with John Ganz), The Baffler, February 7, 2018.
“Right-Wing Extremists Have a Right to Speak, Not a Right to be Listened To,” The Washington Post, November 6, 2017.
“How (Not) to Criticize Karl Polanyi,” Democracy: A Journal melof Ideas, June 5, 2017.
FELLOWSHIPS AND PRIZES
Berlin Prize, American Academy in Berlin, 2019
Humanities Scholarship Enhancement Fund, University of Florida 2017
Social Sciences/Mellon Advanced Studies Fellowship, University of Chicago 2015 – 2016
Summer Research Fellowship in Political Theory, University of Chicago 2015
Grodzins Prize Lectureship, University of Chicago 2015
Political Science Summer Research Fellowship, University of Chicago 2013
Doctoral Fellowship, Canada Social Science and Humanities Research Council 2012 –2014
Graduate Fellowship, University of Chicago 2010 – 2015
INVITED PRESENTATIONS AND LECTURES
“The Power of Money: Towards a Democratic Theory of Finance”
- Keynote Workshop Paper, “The Political Economy of Debt after the Euro-Crisis: Normative and Empirical Perspectives,” Amsterdam Center for European Studies, University of Amsterdam, December 11, 2019
“Making a Democratic Welfare State”
- Justus-Liebeg-Universtät Giessen, December 2, 2019
“Max Weber and the Contradictions of Political Leadership”
- Institute of Philosophy, London, November 22, 2019
“Can Democracy Tame 21st-Century Capitalism?”
- Daimler Lecture, American Academy in Berlin, November 5, 2019
“Democratic Institutions, Political Equality, and Organized Collective Power”
- Goethe-Universität Frankfurt, October 29, 2019
- Technische Universität Darmstadt, October 29, 2019
“The Power of Money: Towards a Critical Theory of Finance”
- Georgetown University, November 11, 2019
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, November 14, 2019
- Freie Universität Berlin, October 16, 2019
“Political Equality and Collective Power: Elements of a Theory of Democracy”
- The Rice Workshop in Humanistic Ethics, April 12-13, 2019, Houston
“Karl Polanyi and the Enduring Dilemmas of Democratic Capitalism”
- “The Political in the Economy and its Law: Symposium in Honour of Professor Christian Joerges,” Dec. 5, 2018, Hertie School of Governance, Berlin
“Towards a Worldly Political Economy”
- “Economics Through the Lens of Political Theory,” Panel for Relationships Matter: EU Policy-Making Borne from Relational Political Agents (Reframing the EU II), December 5-7, 2018, European Commission, Brussels
“Capitalism and Democracy in the 21st Century: Polanyian Perspectives,” Hertie School of Governance, Berlin, co-sponsored by the Jacques Delors Institute and the American Academy in Berlin, November 26, 2019, co-organized with Christian Joerges (Bremen and Hertie) and Vladimir Bogoeski (Hertie)
“Towards a Political Theory of Institutions,” MANCEPT Workshop, September 9-11, 2019, co-organized with Rob Jubb (Reading)
“Persistent Inequalities: Studying Gender in the 21st Century,” European University Institute, March 14, 2017, co-organized with Nevena Kulic (EUI)
“Democracy and the Question of Capitalism”
- Association for Political Theory Annual Conference, Oct. 18-20, 2018, Haverford
- American Political Science Association Annual Conference, Aug. 30-Sept. 2, 2018, Boston
- Philosophy and Social Science Conference, May 16-20, 2018, Prague
- 2nd Annual Philosophy, Politics, and Economics Society Meeting, March 15-17, New Orleans
“Transformative Claims: Gender, Domination, and the Welfare State”
- Midwestern Political Science Association Annual Conference, April 5-8, 2018, Chicago
- American Political Science Association Annual Conference, Aug. 31-Sept. 3, 2017, San Francisco
“The Causality of Fate: Jürgen Habermas and the Critique of Domination”
- Philosophy and Social Science Conference, May 17-21, 2017, Prague
“Fictitious Freedom: Karl Polanyi, Non-Domination, and the Market”
- Annual Association for Political Theory Conference, Oct. 22–24, 2015, Boulder, Colorado
“Democracy and Domination in Max Weber’s Sociology of Religion”
- Western Political Science Association Annual Meeting, April 2-5, 2015, Las Vegas, Nevada
“Visions of the Social: Reform and Democracy in Nineteenth-Century Germany”
- American Political Science Association Annual Meeting, Aug. 28-31, 2014, Washington, DC
“Problems of Democracy,” Spring 2020, University of Florida
“Freedom, Democracy, and the Welfare State,” Spring 2020, University of Florida
“Contemporary Political Theory (Graduate),” Spring 2019, University of Florida
“Theory and Politics (Graduate),” Fall 2018, University of Florida
“Democratic Theory (Graduate)”, Spring 2018, University of Florida
“Introduction to Political Theory,” Fall 2017 and Spring 2018, University of Florida
“Classics of Social and Political Thought,” Winter 2016, University of Chicago
“The Welfare State and Its Discontents,” Spring 2015, University of Chicago
Executive Committee Member, Capitalism, Socialism, and Democracy Research Committee, International Political Science Association, 2018-
Placement and Professionalization Coordinator, University of Florida, 2017-
Max Weber Fellows Representative, Department of Social and Political Science, European University Institute, 2016-2017
Manuscript Reviewer: American Journal of Political Science, Political Studies, Perspectives on Politics, Journal of Politics, Constellations, European Journal of Political Theory, Raison Politique, Philosophy and Social Criticism, Political Research Quarterly, Democracy and Security, Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy